Probiotics or direct fed microbials, such as Liv-Pro®, are live beneficial bacteria that may confer positive health effects on an animal. These beneficial bacteria can counter disease-causing bacteria through several mechanisms, including prevention of pathogen colonization in the intestines by blocking binding sites, production of antimicrobials and organic acids, and stimulation of the immune response and enzyme activity.
More than 70% of the immune system is located in the digestive tract, which is affected by natural intestinal microflora. Unfortunately, beneficial bacteria can be destroyed by everyday conditions, such as:
- Antibiotic therapy
- Stress following hatching or weaning, inadequate or close housing, transportation, excessive temperatures and over-exertion
- Illness and exposure to pathogenic microorganisms
- Age; the microflora is virtually nonexistent in a newly born and weakened in older animals
- Poor nutrition and feed/ formula changes
Conditions that follow the destruction of beneficial bacteria in the intestinal tract include:
- Illnesses associated with the digestive tract and other follow-on disorders
- A weakened immune system
- Decreased growth rate, feed conversion and weight
- Decreased nutrient absorption
- Use of antibiotic therapy
By consuming Liv-Pro, the digestive tract can seed and grow beneficial bacteria, which helps sustain a healthy digestive system and ultimately helps maintain a state of optimal health and performance. Moreover, orally ingested beneficial bacteria exert health benefits beyond the gastrointestinal tract.
Liv-Pro is a proven, efficient and safe product for animal health and production, the consumer and the environment.
Liv-Pro Probiotics for Pets ►
Liv-Pro Probiotics for Poultry ►